Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service (DWFRS) is offering businesses fire safety advice as part of the National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC) UK Business Safety Week 2017.
The week runs from 11 to 17 September and aims to make sure businesses and their staff have the information they need to prevent, protect and respond to fire incidents in the workplace.
The week has been scheduled to run at a time when many businesses will be recruiting additional members of seasonal staff in the run up to the Christmas period.
New recruits may not have the same level of fire safety awareness as permanent members of staff, and may not be aware of the steps needed to protect themselves, their customers and colleagues.
UK Business Safety Week also presents a good opportunity to remind employers of the need to review fire risk assessments and training and make sure existing staff know the importance of fire safety.
DWFRS is asking businesses to:
· ensure they have taken action to prevent fires in the workplace
· take action to protect themselves from arson
· make sure all staff know how to respond appropriately in the event of an incident
· work with their local fire service to reduce false alarms and enforcement notices
DWFRS continue to work with local Chamber of Commerce groups and during UK Business Safety Week, teams will be in the following areas from 10am to 3pm, meeting business owners delivering fire safety advice.
· Grove Trading Estate, Dorchester, 11 September
· Blandford and Sherborne, 11 and 12 September
· Westbury and Wilton, 11 and 12 September
· Westminster and Carey Road industrial estates, Wareham, 12 September
· Elliott Road, Bournemouth, 13 September
· Gorsehill, Swindon, 14 September
DWFRS Head of Fire Safety, Seth Why, said ‘Once again I am delighted that our local fire safety officers will be working with small and medium size businesses to help them ensure that they are able to operate in a way that is safe from the terrible effects of fire.
‘These businesses make a massive contribution to the UK economy and local communities, and we want to help them to do this in a sustainable and safe way.’
If members of the public have a general fire safety enquiry regarding commercial property, please email [email protected] or call 01722 69 1717 during office hours (9am-5pm).