Thorngrove’s head gardener, Chris Francis, gives his tips for what to do this month…
* Prune your apple and pear trees if you have not already done so.
* Check stored dahila and begonias tubers for rot and drying out.
* Start forcing rhubarb by placing a bucket or pots over the crown.
* Dig over any vacant plots that have not been dug already.
* Clean your old pots ready for the coming season.
* Plant soft friut such as raspberries.
* Sow sweetpeas and broad beans indoors and also perennials such as aquligias, hollyhock, and lupins.
* Keep feeding the birds. A good one to use is the non-grow variety so if the birds don’t eat it all, you won’t get a field of wheat growing in your garden (550g, £1; 1kg, £1.95)
At Thorngrove this month…
* 20% off selected trees
* 50% off herbaceous plants and shrub tools
Thorngrove Garden Centre, Common Mead Lane, Gillingham, SP8 4RE
Open 7 days a week; Monday – Saturday, 9am-5pm; Sunday 10am-5pm.