0
Shares
Pinterest Google+

Last year more than 250 households achieved their dream of owning their own home in Wiltshire with an average household income of just £29,000, says Wiltshire Council.

People are being encouraged to find out more about owning their own home as Wiltshire Council invests in a range of affordable housing.

During national Shared Ownership Week, the council says it is keen to dispel myths around who can purchase a shared ownership home and ensure people are aware of the opportunities available.

In 2018-19 there were 752 new affordable homes built and completed in Wiltshire – the highest rate of delivery since Wiltshire Council became a unitary authority in 2009. Over one third of those new homes were offered for sale as shared ownership homes.

Shared ownership is a form of low cost home ownership for those who wish to own a place of their own, but cannot afford to buy a property on the open market. It provides an affordable, smart way to buying a new or resale home.

The buyer purchases a share in a property – usually a minimum of 25 percent of the home’s value – and pay a subsidised rent on the part they don’t own. You live in the property and maintain the property the same as if you owned it in full. In future, if you wish, you can usually buy further shares until you own your home outright.

Qualifying applicants can purchase a share of a home from a housing association or the council, and pay rent to the housing association or council for the remaining share.

If people have a household income of less than £80,000 they can register for shared ownership housing.

Shared Ownership is also for people later in life who are looking to move into more suitable accommodation but can’t afford to purchase retirement living accommodation on the open market. Wiltshire Council offer this opportunity at two retirement living schemes in the county: Evergreen Court in Amesbury and Needham House in Devizes.

Older Peoples Shared Ownership (OPSO) means people can sell their existing home and purchase up to 75 percent of the market value and pay no rent on the remaining 25 percent. There is no set income or capital threshold, each case is taken on merit, including whether you could afford to purchase something in the open market and what care costs you may incur in the coming years. To be considered for OPSO people need to register on Homes 4 Wiltshire

Richard Clewer, Wiltshire Council Cabinet Member for Housing said: ‘Many people don’t realise they can own their own home through a scheme such as shared ownership. They don’t think they are eligible or they’re not suitable and it’s time we dispelled those myths.

‘Across the county we are building affordable homes and investing in shared ownership schemes. I would really encourage people to come forward and find out more about shared ownership and how it can benefit them.’

Applicants can register for shared ownership schemes through Help to Buy South.

Wiltshire Council also has more information on shared ownership housing on its website.

Previous post

Former Nuremberg interpreter's home in Mere to get blue plaque

Next post

Mortgage Advice Bureau aims to serve Dorset from new office

1 Comment

  1. peter durrant
    19th September 2019 at 10:58 am — Reply

    Shared ownership looks good but is really a flawed system. I have lived, for example, at the age of eighty-one in mixed tenancies shared ownership scheme in Cambridge and the £235.000 ‘premium’ payment, whatever that is has virtually disappeared. With the housing society never contacting one to report back on what should be, in my view, an building society type investment. My neighbour who died a year ago purchased a three quarter shared ownership two-bedroomed flat for £360.000 and it has never been resold. Remaining empty with if the same thing happens to me, with only a half share two bedroom flat, with my children having to pay rent, service trust, council rates and empty property charges. Almost a thousand pounds which could carry on indefinitely and they cannot, of course, not being over fifty-five in the property. The housing society refused to buy it back or offer me rented accommodation and I am currently dealing with the ombudsman. So in resale terms, and this is particularly applicable to people in their eighties, shared ownership is the new Rachmanism

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *