Love gazing at the stars on a clear night? Now you can do so with the experts pointing out some of the hundreds of spectacular constellations in the pristine night skies above the Cranborne Chase Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) at a series of special Stargazing Events.
Astronomer and Cranborne Chase AONB Dark Skies advisor Bob Mizon will regale the audience with stories of the astronomical wonders above their heads, while the AONB’s director Linda Nunn will detail developments concerning the Cranborne Chase AONB’s bid for prestigious International Dark Sky Reserve status.
Afterwards, the audience will join Bob and members of the Wessex Astronomical Society outside for a spectacular stargazing experience.
The series of stargazing events during 2017/2018 will be as follows:
• Monday 13 November at Semley Village Hall (Semley, Shaftesbury, Dorset SP7 9AS)
• Saturday 9 December at Sixpenny Handley 1st Woodcutts Scout HQ (B3081, Sixpenny Handley, Dorset SP5 5NW)
• Thursday 18 January at Bishopstone Village Hall (Butt Lane, Bishopstone, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP5 4AA)
• Thursday 15 February at Ansty Pick Your Own (Ansty PYO & Farm Shop, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP3 5PX)
• Thursday 15 March at Sutton Veny Village Hall (High Street, Sutton Veny, Wiltshire BA12 7AP)
All events commence at 7pm and last for around two to two-and-a-half hours, depending on weather conditions. The cost for adults is £5 each (cash or cheque on the night/includes a free tea or coffee), with no charge for children. Bookings must be made in advance, tel: 01725 517417, or email: email@example.com.
Additionally, on Monday 19 February, renowned night sky photographer Nigel Ball will be hosting a talk on the techniques used to capture fantastic night images and star trails using a standard digital SLR. The discussion includes planning, equipment and top tips for success. The talk will be held at Woodcutts Scout HQ, Sixpenny Handley. To register your interest, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on stargazing in the Cranborne Chase AONB, log on to www.chasingstars.org.uk